Call options on Meta Portal
You can make and receive calls:
- To and from Facebook friends and WhatsApp contacts of connected accounts.
- Using Messenger Rooms.
- Using apps like Workplace, Zoom, Webex and BlueJeans.
You can't call Messenger connections that don't have Facebook accounts or upload contacts from your phone. Learn more about adding or removing contacts.
To make a call say:
- "Hey Portal, call [contact name]."
- "Hey Portal, answer.“
- "Hey Portal, hang up."
"Hey Portal" may ask you to confirm which contact you're trying to call by saying "Yes", "No" or by saying the full name of the contact you're trying to call.
If you have a Facebook and WhatsApp account connected to your device, voice commands will automatically default to your Messenger contacts. To call someone on WhatsApp you can say, "Hey Portal, call [contact name] on WhatsApp" or change your Default Call Provider to WhatsApp.
To make WhatsApp your Default Call Provider:
- From Apps, tap to open the Settings.
- Tap General, then tap next to Default Calling Provider to turn on or off.
When you change your Default Call Provider to WhatsApp, all calls made from "Hey Portal" will be made on WhatsApp, unless you say "Hey Portal, call [contact name] on Messenger."
To make a call:
- From Apps, tap to open the Contacts app. You can filter your contacts by Suggested, Recent, Messenger and WhatsApp.
- Tap the contact you'd like to call.
- Make a selection to start your call.
To answer a call:
When receiving a call, tap Answer to join the call.
To end a call:
- During a call, tap your Meta Portal screen to expose the call menu.
- Tap to end the call.
During a call you can do things like:
- Move and talk freely while Meta Portal's Smart Camera and Smart Sound adjust to keep you audible and in the frame.
- Add more friends to the call.
- Use AR effects and Story Time.
- Turn your microphone or camera off.
- Control your camera during a call.
- Use Facebook Watch.
- Meta Portal calls can only be received on Meta Portal devices, on the Messenger app on mobile phones or tablets, on messenger.com or facebook.com, or on WhatsApp on mobile phones. Calling on messenger.com or facebook.com is only available using the browsers Chrome or Opera.
- In order to call a WhatsApp contact from your Meta Portal, the contact must have WhatsApp open or in standby mode on their mobile phone.
- If you have trouble with WhatsApp calls on Meta Portal, make sure you've both joined Multi-Device Beta. Visit the WhatsApp help center to learn how to join Multi-Device Beta.