How do I set up my Portal Go?
This article only applies to Portal Go.
Portal Go has a built-in battery so you can move it around your home and call from anywhere. Your Portal Go comes with a Portal Go charger to charge your battery.
Before setting up your Portal:
- Review our health and safety guidelines.
- To set up your Portal, you'll need a Facebook or WhatsApp account.
To set up Portal Go:
- Remove plastic packaging. If the plastic packaging is covering your microphone, you will have trouble making calls and using assistants.
- Place the dock on a stable, flat surface with the circular contact pads facing up toward the ceiling.
- Plug the charging doc into a working outlet.
- For the best call quality, make sure to leave at least 2 feet between your Portal Go and any walls.
- Align the bottom slot on your Portal Go with the top of the charging dock and place the device on it.
- Once connected to the charging dock, your device will power on automatically.
After your device is charged you can carry Portal Go by the handle located on the rear of the device. Learn more about your Portal Go battery and what to do if it won’t charge.
To set up your profile:
Once your Portal is plugged in, follow the on-screen instructions to begin setup. If you are visually impaired and need assistance setting up your Portal, you can activate screen reader by holding two fingers on the screen.
Follow the on-screen instructions to do things like choose your preferred language, connect to WiFi and connect with Facebook, WhatsApp or Workplace accounts.
If you have trouble setting up your device, these articles may help:
- Wifi troubleshooting tips.
- Forgot my Facebook password.
- If you're having trouble using your Portal's touchscreen during setup, you may have turned on screen reader.
When you have finished connecting an account, follow the remaining on-screen instructions to complete setup. You can do things like:
- Connect your Portal to music accounts.
- Set up voice interactions like "Hey Portal" and Alexa.
- Display your photos.
- Always use the official Portal Go charger with your device.
- Excessive heat can damage your Portal Go, so make sure to place your Portal away from areas that may get very hot, such as near cooking surfaces or in direct sunlight. If your device is overheating, you’ll receive a notification. When this happens, stop using it and let the device cool down before continuing to use it.