How do I set up my Portal using screen reader?
Screen reader can be enabled at the start of set up and used throughout. After set up is complete, more accessibility options can be found in Settings under the Accessibility tab.
Assemble your Portal:
- Place your Portal on a stable flat surface, like a tabletop or counter.
- Do not place your Portal near sinks, showers, pools or other areas where it might get wet.
- Do not place your Portal near sources of heat, such as stoves, ovens or radiators.
- Do not place Portal where it may be tipped over easily.
- Plug your Portal in with the included power cord.
- Plug the included power cord into Portal first, then into an appropriate outlet.
- Make sure the included power cord is fully plugged into your Portal before plugging it into an appropriate outlet.
- Your Portal works when connected to a rated AC power source with 100V to 240V AC at 50Hz to 60Hz. Please review our health and safety guidelines for more information.
- Arrange any cables and cords to avoid tripping over of people and pets or accidentally pull on them as they move around or walk near the Portal.
After you plug in your Portal, wait a few seconds for the Portal to load.
To turn on screen reader:
- Hold the screen with two fingers for 8 seconds. After 4 seconds, you'll hear an audible prompt to continue holding the Portal screen to enable accessibility mode.
- Keep holding until you hear "TalkBack on.”
To use screen reader:
- Explore items: Screen elements navigation starts from the top left corner. By swiping with one finger along the screen, the focus, the green rectangle around each element, should move to the next element. The type of the highlighted element, the element label, its state and the available action will be read aloud.
- Open an item: Double-tap with one finger.
- Read the next item: Swipe from left to right with one finger.
- Read the previous item: Swipe right to left with one finger.
- Go back to previous screen: Make a gesture as ⅃ (Down then left).
- To scroll a list: Drag two fingers up or down.
- Turn Screen Reader off: Hold the screen with two fingers for 8 seconds. Once your Portal is set up, you must turn Screen Reader on and off in your settings.
Once you set up Screen Reader, follow the on-screen instructions to begin setup.
Select your language and connect to Wi-Fi:
- Select your language, then tap Next.
- Connect to Wi-Fi:
- Select your Wi-Fi network.
- Enter your Wi-Fi password and tap Join.
- Tap Next.
- Tap Continue. Your Portal may need to download the latest software in order to complete setup. Once the download is complete, you may be asked to restart your Portal.
If you have trouble connecting to the Wi-Fi, learn how to check your signal.
Give your Portal a name and log in with Facebook or WhatsApp:
Follow the on-screen instructions to continue setup.
- Give your Portal a name. Tap an option from the menu or tap to create a Custom Name, then tap Next.
- Log in with Facebook, WhatsApp or Workplace:
- Tap the box next to Facebook, WhatsApp or Workplace, then tap Next.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Once you have finished connecting an account, follow the remaining on-screen instructions to complete setup. You can do things like connect your Portal to music accounts, set up Amazon Alexa, display your photos and learn more about using Portal.
- “Hey Portal” and other functionality depends on the language selection. Learn more about “Hey Portal” availability.
- The availability of some features, including Facebook Watch, Facebook Gaming, Facebook Live and display settings depends on the user account set up on the Portal: these apps are available for Facebook accounts, but won’t be available with WhatsApp-only or when a WhatsApp-only login exists on a shared device. See portal.facebook.com/usage for more information.