What's new on Portal?
Wondering what's new with Portal? Check out our release notes to learn what’s rolling out or may already be available on Portal.
- Take photos hands-free with “Hey Portal”: Take photos, hands-free, using Facebook Assistant during Messenger video calls. Try saying, “Hey Portal, take a picture,” during a call. After taking a picture, you can use “Hey Portal” to send, delete or take another picture. Learn more about how to take a photo during a Messenger call on Portal.
- Turn on Safe Browsing for the Portal web browser: Portal users can turn on Safe Browsing in the Browser app to stay protected against visiting potentially harmful websites. When turned on, Safe Browsing may protect users from visiting websites that could be dangerous. For example, websites may trick users into installing unwanted software or revealing personal information. Learn more about Safe Browsing.
- Discover Amazon Prime Video recommendations on Portal TV: Portal TV users can now check out new Amazon Prime Video recommendations from the Home Screen. To get started, log in to your Amazon account on Amazon Prime Video to see your recommendations.
- Eight Person Group Calls: Enjoy group calls with up to eight participants (previously four) through WhatsApp and Messenger end-to-end encrypted calls. Want to connect even more people on a large group call? You can also use Rooms to chat with up to 50 people. Learn more about how to make Messenger group call.
- Add New People to Calls: We’ve made it easier to add people to an active Messenger call. To add a new call participant or send an invitation, simply tap your screen then tap Add people. Continue your call while you’re waiting for new people to join the conversation.
- Calendar Notifications: Stay on time for meetings with new Calendar notifications. Calendar app notifies you of your next meeting even when you are currently in a meeting or a call, making it easy to join back-to-back calls. Learn how to start using Calendar App.
- New Smart Camera Controls: Choose how your Smart Camera pans and zooms during Messenger (including Rooms) calls to focus on what matters most. Tap the screen to view call controls, then tap the Smart Camera button to pick a setting:
- Smart Frame: Automatically keeps everyone in the frame.
- Close Up: Zooms in on the closest person.
- Spotlight: Select one person to focus on and keep in the frame by tapping on their face.
- Manual: Drag and pinch on your Portal screen to adjust the frame.
- Bauer Media's Absolute Radio App: Portal Touch users in the UK can download Bauer Media’s Absolute Radio app to stream free live radio stations and premium music channels. Learn how to download apps to your Portal.
- Microsoft Teams: Use Microsoft Teams apps on your Portal to join meetings, chat and access your calendar. Learn how to connect your Microsoft Teams account.
- Photos During Calls: Take photos during Messenger video calls to share with friends and save to a Portal album to view later or display on your Portal. Learn how to take photos during video calls.
- Video Relay Service: Use ZP Better Together apps to bring a sign language interpreter into the call. If you’re deaf, hard of hearing, deaf-blind, or have a speech impairment, these apps help you set language barriers aside and just start connecting. To get started, you'll need a ZP account and the P3 or Z5 app for Portal or OneVP app for Portal TV.
- Facebook Posts and Stories: You can now use “Hey Portal” to stay up to date with friends and family. Say “Hey Portal, show me stories” or “Hey Portal, show me my Facebook posts” to view the latest posts and stories on your Portal. Available when your language is set to English (US/Canada).
- Closed Captions Settings: Customize your Closed Captions settings with additional options for the text colors, styles and languages. Learn how to adjust your settings.
- New Augmented Reality Games: Test your knowledge with Quizbee or interact with your own virtual pet with Port-a-Pet. These new games are available on Messenger calls, Rooms or Photo Booth (available when language set as English (US/Canada)).
- Watch Together Controls: Control access to Watch Together content during Messenger calls when Household Mode is on. Learn more about Watch Together.
- Call Transfer for End-to-End Encrypted Messenger Calls: Transfer Messenger calls from your phone to your Portal while maintaining end-to-end encryption. Learn how to make End-to-End Encrypted calls on Portal.
- Favorite Messenger Groups: Find and favorite your existing Messenger groups in the Contacts app on Portal.
- Messenger Call Controls: Tap your screen during a call to see redesigned call controls including an Add People button in the top left of your call screen.
- Birthday Video Messages: Through birthday reminders on the home screen you can click and send your contacts a birthday video message through Messenger to help them celebrate.
- Play Notion: Notion is an in-call multiplayer AR game where you guess your friends’ opinions on different topics. Try playing during a call between two or more Portal users by saying, “Hey Portal, let’s play Notion” or tapping the Play Time icon and tapping the Family Fun category.
- ESPN for Portal TV: Download the ESPN app on your Portal TV to stream ESPN and ESPN+ (only available in the US).
- Portal Calendar App: Sync your Outlook and Google calendar to view your personal appointments or meetings at a glance from the Home Screen. You can easily join a meeting from the Home Screen. Learn how to link your calendar and use the app.
- Alexa Discovery Surface App: Manage smart home devices, routines, alarms, music, smart doorbells and more by touch through the Alexa Discovery Surface App on Portal. The app is automatically enabled when you link your Alexa account on Portal. Learn how to connect your Alexa account.
- Bluetooth Headset Support: Use a Bluetooth headset for Portal calls when you want a little privacy or so you don’t disturb others. Bluetooth connectivity is available for calls on Messenger, WhatsApp, Zoom, BlueJeans, and more. Learn how to connect your Bluetooth headset.
- Contacts App: The Contacts App delivers more accurate search results from a partial match and shows your most recent searches so that you can easily start a call with individuals or a group you searched for recently.