Getting parents started with parental supervision
We know that while all parents or guardians want to keep their teens safe, not everyone has the expertise to easily do this in the virtual world. Our goal with these parental supervision tools is to make VR safety readily accessible, transparent and easy to understand.
- Oculus mobile app. The Oculus mobile app is where you’ll find parental supervision tools. You can download the app for free onto your phone using the links below:
- A Facebook account. This is what you’ll use to log into the Oculus mobile app in order to use parental supervision. If you don’t currently use Facebook, you can create a Facebook account using the Oculus Mobile app.
- An invite from your teen: Parents must be invited by a teen to support their Oculus account before they can begin using parental supervision with their teen’s headset.
In addition to the requirements outlined above, there are some additional requirements for both your account and your teen’s account:
- Teens can only have one parent or guardian supporting their account.
- Parents can support up to 5 teen accounts.
- Parents must be at least 18 years old.
- Parents and teens cannot use parental supervision if one account has blocked the other.
- Both teen and parent must have a Facebook account. Parental supervision cannot be set up on Oculus accounts that are not linked to Facebook.
- Both teen and parent Facebook accounts must not be disabled, deactivated or deleted.
- When your teen invites you to support their VR experience, you will be alerted with a message that includes a link to set up parental supervision.
- Keep in mind that the set up link expires after 48 hours, at which point a new link will need to be sent.
- Click the link to set up parental supervision. If you haven’t already created a Facebook account and downloaded the Oculus app, you'll be asked to do so to proceed.
- From the Oculus app, tap Menu.
- Tap Parental Supervision.
- This will take you to the parental supervision account screen where you can view all the accounts you support. Tap on your teen’s account.
- This will take you to the parent dashboard, where you’ll be able to see your teen’s activity in VR, and adjust your parental supervision settings.